Technological innovation is taking place at a breath-taking pace. Simple, open source internet-based applications and services designed to enhance on-line collaboration are now available to the wider public at little or no cost at all. These new online technologies known as Web 2.0 and ‘social media’ enable people to collaborate to create, share and publish information.
The Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) in collaboration with the Botswana College of Agriculture (BCA) and CTA, will host a 5-day Web 2.0 Learning Opportunity on 22 - 26 June, 2015. Participants will be introduced to selected web 2.0 applications including social media and will learn how to use them hands-on.
The Learning Opportunity will cover advanced online searching, getting information served via alerts and RSS, collaborating remotely using Google Drive, Dropbox, VoIP, online mapping and social media. Participants will get a chance to see what others have done, get hands-on experience on how to use innovative applications, and assess how they could adopt these innovations within the context of their work and organisation. This Learning Opportunity forms part of CTA initiatives that support development partners in networking, accessing and disseminating information more effectively.
This Learning Opportunity forms part of CTA initiatives that support development partners in networking, accessing and disseminating information more effectively.
Programme of the Learning Opportunity
• Web 2.0 and Social Media: concepts and principles;
• Selective access to information via (i) advanced multilingual search options; (ii) RSS and (iii) automated alerts;
• Content curation: Tagging and Social Bookmarking;
• Photos for the web;
• Remote collaboration (e.g. GoogleDrive, Dropbox);
• Online conversations (Skype, Google Hangouts, Viber, Whatsapp);
• Online mapping (New Google Maps);
• Blogging (Blogger or Wordpress);
• Micro-blogging (Twitter);
• Social networking (LinkedIn and Facebook), risks and mitigation measures;
• Online Communities of Practice;
• Web 2.0 and Social Media for Agri-business and marketing.
Participants - Eligibility and responsibilities
Participation in this event is by invitation only.
During the event, the organisers will provide lunch and refreshments and distribute copies of CTA publications and instructional material.